Monday 23 December 2013

GP Resolutions for 2014!



GP Resolutions I DEFINITELY will keep up for 2014

  • I will tidy my drawers
  • I will tell Mrs X that a long hug after EVERY consultation is just not appropriate. And that she hugs a bit too tightly.
  • I will log all my CPD activity on the appraisal toolkit calmly and steadily throughout the year rather than at midnight the night before my appraisal
  • I shall not dread duty dr days, but will start each one with a deep breath, a smile and a ‘today is going to be fun and interesting!’
  • I will not prescribe ciprofloxacin
  • I will attempt to read 10% of the email attachments from the CCG
  • I will throw out all the broken, and frankly dangerous, old toys in my toy box and disinfect the rest
  • I will be better at coding
  • I will remove that Cosmo with  the ‘best sex positions for 2008’ on the cover from the waiting room
  • I will ALWAYS wash my hands
  • I shall try not to retch when examining Mr Y and will ask him if he could please shower before he comes to see me from now on
  • I shall try to have a ‘duty dr day’ and an ‘alcohol free day’ on the same day
  • I really really really will go on a ‘sports injuries for GPs’ course…
  • I shall smile nicely when the patient says ‘well, I haven’t see you for a year doctor so I’ve saved a few things up’
  • I will not nod off when I have my therapeutic ‘5 minute mindfulness meditation’ on my couch in the middle of the day (and will set an alarm on my phone just in case)
  • I will not text kids, write shopping lists or fantasise about exotic holidays during practice meetings
  • I will no longer say to patients ‘you’re not very fit’ (frequently misunderstood)
  • I will get smart new work clothes
  • I will do NO ‘google-faffing’ during the working day and definitely NO FB/twitter (#needtogetareallife)
  • I shall slowly wean myself down to 6 cups of strong coffee a day
  • I will check the expiry dates of the drugs in my bag
  • When I seem to be the only dr in the practice I shall say to myself ‘I’m glad my colleagues are having a well earned break, they deserve it!’
  • I will improve my posture when sitting at my desk, straight back, not slumped
  • I will not prescribe benzodiazepines EVER
  • I shall keep up with my patient admin as I go
  • I will get my equipment calibrated
  • I shall not treat ‘pop man’ the same way I treat ‘pop ups’ selling insurance
  • I shall write short, brilliantly succinct and pithy referral letters (rather than rambling current ones which could’ve been written by Joyce and Kafka’s love-child)
  • I shall embrace revalidation with a positive attitude and a SMILE 
  • I will get better with emis web (everyone else says it’s brilliant so I’m obviously doing something seriously wrong)
  • I will not have cakes, biscuits or chocolates at coffee time. Perhaps some dried apricots…
  • I shall throw all the free GP papers in the recycling without reading them as they just make me feel depressed and want to resign
  • I shall tentatively peep into  my ‘non-urgent in-tray’
  • I will finally work out how to be clinically thorough, nice and tick all the boxes in 10 minutes and then…(here comes the drum roll…)
  • I SHALL RUN TO TIME!!! EVERY TIME!!!

2 comments:

  1. Such laudable resolutions!! I am behind you all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your website is for sure worth bookmarking.raspberry ketone side effects

    ReplyDelete